Do you possess decent essay writing skills and want to partake in an international competition? Queens Commonwealth Essay Competition is a great opportunity for you to show to your potentials. With numerous young people taking part every year, it is a great way to recognize achievement, uplift youth voices, and develop crucial skills through creative writing.
The theme of the competition this year is “Community in the Commonwealth.” With the global prevalence of COVID-19, we’ve witnessed the lives of many Commonwealth citizens affected. Though, through adversity, societies came together and stories of growth, community and hope keep emerging.
Queens Commonwealth Essay Competition – Summary
- Study Level: Competition
- Institution(s): The Royal Commonwealth Society (RCS)
- Study in: UK
- Deadline: June 30th, 2022
With the worldwide spread of COVID-19, we’ve witnessed the lives of many Commonwealth people affected. Though through hard times, societies came together and stories of growth, community and hope continue to arise.
Senior Group (born between 1st of July, 2002 and 30th of June, 2007 (14-18 years of age)
- Deliberate on: “The greatness of a community is most accurately measured by the compassionate actions of its members.” – Coretta Scott King
- Keeping connected through COVID-19.
- It’s been 30 years after the end of the COVID-19 pandemic, what does the world look like?
- Visualize that you are the Head of a Commonwealth nation heavily affected by COVID-19, and giving a national address at the end of the pandemic. What would you say to your community?
Junior Group (born on or after 1st of July, 2007 (under 14 years of age))
- It is 2050 and you’ve been required to write about the coronavirus pandemic for a museum. What story would you tell?
- Narrate a story of how you, or somebody you know, aided others during the pandemic.
- HM Queen Elizabeth II, “We will be with our friends again. We will be with our families again. We will meet again.” After the pandemic, you are seeing a friend for the first time. What new hobbies would you share with them?
- What is it that you missed the most during the pandemic?
Benefits of Queens Commonwealth Essay Competition
Beneficiaries of Queens Commonwealth Essay Competition will be offered the benefits below:
- All recipients get a Certificate of Participation, and one Winner and Runner-up from the Senior and Junior categories will win a trip to London for a week of educational and cultural occasions.
- Rewards have traditionally been granted only to the first prize winners in the Senior and Junior categories and also differ each year. This means they are not able to confirm what the prizes will be until after the winners are announced in August 2022. Past prizes have included:
- Resources for winner’s school
- Visits to Cambridge University
- Trip to London including a week of events
- Having your entry featured in worldwide media
- Work experience at international organizations
- Please contact your nearest RCS branch after the competition closes on June 30, 2022, to inquire about any activities planned.
Eligibility for Queens Commonwealth Essay Competition
To be eligible for Queens Commonwealth Essay Competition, applicants must satisfy the requirements below:
- Required Language: English Language.
- Eligible Nations: Nationals and inhabitants of all Commonwealth nations, and territories aged 18 and under are qualified to enter the competition, as well as applicants from Zimbabwe.
- Submissions are accepted from inhabitants of non-Commonwealth nations who submit through their local RCS branch.
- Submissions can be presented in any form/method of creative writing.
- Pictures/Illustrations are very encouraged in the Junior Category.
How to Apply for Queens Commonwealth Essay Competition
To apply for Queens Commonwealth Essay Competition, applicants should follow the guidelines below:
- The Royal Commonwealth Society is building a novel online platform that will be very easier to use and reachable on all devices, but it’s not yet ready.
- They are encouraging young people to start writing their pieces, and will open the new platform for submissions.
- Please note: They do not accept essays forwarded by email.
Offline Submission (Post): (Tap the ‘How to Enter’ section in the official webpage for further details)
- Offline submissions are quite difficult to process and can imply that your entry arrives after the Competition deadline. They will only accept an offline entry where the person submitting has no access to internet and is not capable of submitting online.
- If you are making submission by post, please complete an entry form (Can be seen in the official webpage) in block capitals and attach it to the front of your essay
- NB: For postal entries, your essay must be received by June 30, 2022 in order to be eligible. They, therefore, suggest that you send your essay with plenty of time for delivery, as essays received by a postal hub after June 30 will not be considered in the competition.
- Check the official website for posting address.
To inquire further about Queens Commonwealth Essay Competition, please visit the Official Website.
Not interested in this particular scholarship? See other scholarships here.