There are numerous Fully Funded Scholarships in Canada for International Students
If you want to enjoy qualified professors, state-of-the-art infrastructure, and excellent opportunities in research, Canada is a top-notch choice for higher education. However, this comes at a price that makes it only a dream for many international students. But then, there’s a way out. You can explore the many opportunities presented by fully funded scholarships in Canada for international students. For that reason, you just need to follow this article to the end.
So, are you planning to embark on your academic journey in Canada?
How can an international student get a full scholarship in Canada?
As an international student, the first step towards accessing any fully funded scholarships in Canada is to apply. In 2022, over 8,000 international students benefited from one scholarship or the other in Canada.
In most cases, the applications are placed on the Universities website, or that of the sponsoring organization.
Is there a 100% scholarship to study in Canada?
Yes, there is. There are so many Canadian universities that generously waive tuition for international students. However, some of these scholarships require the student to have a Canadian student permit and also have a strong academic record.
Fully funded scholarships in Canada for international students also cover the student’s living expenses for the duration of the program.
List of Fully Funded Scholarships in Canada scholarship for international students 2023/2024
There are so many fully funded scholarships in Canada for international students. However, we have hand-picked 9 top scholarships just for you.
Here’s a list of our top 9 picks:
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship
- McCall MacBain Scholarship at McGill University
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
- Trudeau Foundation Scholarships
- Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships
- Ontario Trillium Scholarship
- Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship
- University of Saskatchewan Scholarship
- NSERC Postgraduate Scholarships
So, let’s take a glance at some of the details of these top scholarships in Canada.
1. Ontario Graduate Scholarships
The Ontario Graduate Scholarship is merit-based in Ontario, Canada. It is a government-funded scholarship for Master’s and Doctoral levels. The good news is, that international students who show proficiency in the English language are also eligible to apply.
Below is the summary of the Ontario Graduate scholarship:
- Award: $20,000 per year
- Subject: N/A
- Requirement: a minimum of 80% in each of the last two full-time academic years
- Deadline: Varies
- Application link: https://osap.gov.on.ca/OSAPPortal/en/A-ZListofAid/PRDR019245.html
2. McCall MacBain Scholarships at McGill University
This scholarship is awarded at both undergraduate and Master’s level. The scholarship covers tuition, living expenses, as well as leadership development. In addition, awardees get a stipend of $2,000, A one-time relocation grant for moving to Montréal.
To apply for the McCall MacBain Scholarships at McGill University, here’s what you need to know and the application link:
- Degree Level: Masters, Undergraduate
- Award: Tuition and fees Coverage
- Application Link: McCall MacBain Scholarship 2024
3. Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships
Another important scholarship on the list of fully funded scholarships in Canada for international students is the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship. It is a fully funded doctoral scholarship for international students. It is an award given for three years.
Here is the summary of the award:
- Award: $50,000 per year
- Subject: Engineering research, humanities research, Social sciences
- Eligibility: International students must be nominated by the University in Canada
- Deadline: November
- Application link: https://vanier.gc.ca/en/eligibility-admissibilite.html
4. Trudeau Foundation Scholarships
If you are an international student looking for a scholarship in Canada, the Trudeau Foundation Scholarships is another good option. It takes position 4 on our list of fully funded scholarships in Canada for international students.
Furthermore, it is non-government funded and awarded solely to doctoral candidates.
What are you waiting for, check out the details and apply today:
- Award: $40,000 per year
- Subjects: Citizenship, Human rights, and dignity
- Deadline: December
- Eligibility: International students
- Application link: https://www.trudeaufoundation.ca/scholarship
5. Banting Postdoctoral Fellowships
The next fully funded scholarship for international students is the Banting Postdoctoral Fellowship. It is a government-funded scholarship awarded to doctoral researchers in Canada.
Before you apply, check out the summary of the award below:
- Award: $70,000 per year
- Subjects: Health research, Natural sciences, engineering, social sciences and/or humanities.
- Deadline: September 20, 2023
- Eligibility: International citizen; Ph.D. in environmental or health professional
- Application link: https://banting.fellowships-bourses.gc.ca/en/home-accueil.html
6. Ontario Trillium Scholarships
This scholarship is awarded to international Ph.D. students in Ontario. So, if you are a doctoral student, grab this opportunity.
Below is a summary of the Ontario Trillium Scholarships:
- Award $40,000 per year
- Deadline: Varies
- Application link: https://www.yorku.ca/gradstudies/students/current-students/awards-and-scholarships/ontario-trillium-scholarships-ots/
7. Lester B. Pearson International Scholarships
Lester B. Pearson International Scholarships is awarded to international students studying at the University of Toronto. In addition to full tuition cover, the scholarship also covers living expenses and books.
Summary of the scholarship:
- Award: Full tuition, books, and living expenses
- Deadline: January
- Application link: https://future.utoronto.ca/pearson/about/
8. University of Saskatchewan Scholarship
There is a range of awards, scholarships and financial aid offered by the University of Saskatchewan. The awards are available for undergraduate, Masters and Ph.D. levels. Equally important to note, Canadian as well as international students are eligible to apply.
For a summary of the scholarship and application link, check below:
- Term:Winter 2024
- Degree Level:Bachelor, Masters, PhD
- Application Link: https://students.usask.ca/money/scholarships.php
9. NSERC Postgraduate Scholarships (PGS)
Last but not least on our list of fully funded scholarships in Canada for international students is the NSERC Postgraduate Scholarships. This award’s worth is between $21,000 and $235,000 annually.
Check out the details of this scholarship below:
- Award: $21,000 to $35,000 per year
- Deadline: October
- Application link: https://www.nserc-crsng.gc.ca/students-etudiants/pg-cs/index_eng.asp
What are fully funded scholarships in Canada for international students?
Fully funded scholarships in Canada for international students are financial aid opportunities provided by Canadian universities, government agencies, or private organizations that cover the entire cost of tuition, living expenses, and other related expenses for international students pursuing higher education in Canada. These scholarships are highly competitive and are designed to attract top talent from around the world to study in Canada.
Who is eligible for fully funded scholarships in Canada for international students?
Eligibility criteria for fully funded scholarships in Canada vary depending on the specific scholarship and the institution offering it. Generally, international students who demonstrate outstanding academic performance, leadership skills, and community involvement are more likely to be considered for these scholarships. English language proficiency tests like IELTS or TOEFL scores may also be required. It’s essential to check the specific requirements of each scholarship and the respective institution’s website for detailed information.
Are there scholarships available for undergraduate and graduate students in Canada?
Yes, fully funded scholarships in Canada are available for both undergraduate and graduate (master’s and doctoral) students. Many universities and organizations offer scholarships at all levels of study, including bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral programs. However, the availability and eligibility criteria for these scholarships can vary, so prospective students should research and apply for scholarships relevant to their level of study.
What expenses do fully funded scholarships typically cover for international students in Canada?
Fully funded scholarships in Canada generally cover a wide range of expenses, including:
- Tuition fees: The scholarship typically covers the full cost of tuition for the duration of the program.
- Living expenses: This includes accommodation, meals, and other day-to-day costs.
- Health insurance: Some scholarships provide health insurance coverage.
- Travel expenses: Certain scholarships may include round-trip airfare to and from Canada.
- Research or project funding: Graduate scholarships may provide additional funds for research or academic projects.
However, it’s important to review the specific terms and conditions of each scholarship, as the coverage can vary.
How can I apply for fully funded scholarships in Canada for international students?
To apply for fully funded scholarships in Canada, follow these general steps:
- Research: Identify scholarships offered by Canadian universities, government programs, and private organizations. Visit their official websites to understand eligibility criteria and application deadlines.
- Prepare documents: Gather all required documents, which typically include academic transcripts, letters of recommendation, a statement of purpose, and language proficiency test scores.
- Apply: Submit your scholarship applications by the specified deadlines. Be sure to follow the application instructions carefully.
- Interview (if required): Some scholarships may require an interview as part of the selection process. Prepare for this by practicing your interview skills.
- Wait for results: After applying, you’ll need to wait for the selection committee’s decision. This may take several weeks or months.
- Accept the offer: If you’re selected for a scholarship, follow the instructions provided to accept the offer and complete any necessary paperwork.
Remember that competition for fully funded scholarships in Canada is fierce, so it’s crucial to put together a strong application and apply to multiple scholarships to increase your chances of success.
Studying in Canada is a dream for many people. Some achieve it, yet some don’t because of the financial burden involved. More overwhelming is the competitive nature of getting scholarships in Canada.
However, you can get a fully funded scholarship as an international student in Canada. To achieve this, you will need the right resources, knowledge, and academic excellence set by the awarding institution.
As mentioned earlier, Canada has opened its arms wide for international students. A wide range of scholarships are available from elementary to post-secondary levels.
So, what are you waiting for? Apply today and make that educational dream a reality.